Special rules apply to photography in the Riksdag buildings. For example, photography is normally only permitted for purposes of news production and not for example for feature films or advertising.
Journalists and photographers with Riksdag media accreditation my take photographs for purposes of news production on Riksdag premises to which they have independent right of access. It is not permitted to take photographs in the café or the restaurants, nor is it permitted to take photographs in offices unless the person working in the office has given his or her permission. The taking of photographs may never prevent people from entering or leaving or block evacuation routes.
Regulations regarding photograhy are to be found in the Riksdag Board's Regulation on Photography etc. on Riksdag Premises (RFS 2006:5). The Speaker may give permission for the taking of photographs in cases other than those stated in the regulation and may also decide on further restrictions to the right to take photographs.
Photography in photo locations in the Chamber
The press foyer is located on floor 7 of the West Wing of the Riksdag, and it is from here the Press Gallery of the Chamber can be reached. The other photo locations can also be reached from here. It is possible to take photographic equipment into the Press Gallery and to the other photo locations, but not outdoor clothing, and bags. Keep the following in mind:
- Work silently and avoid conversations so as not to disturb meetings and sound recordings. All equipment must operate silently.
- Do not use lamps or flash.
- Do not allow camera lenses and other equipment to stick out beyond the railings.
- Do not take photographs of documents on benches or podiums.
- If you wish to move between photo locations in the gallery, please move silently and use the route alongside the windows behind the seats on the gallery.
Picture of the photo locations in the Chamber
- Photo location 1: In front of one of the halves of section E. Here it is possible to make individual sound recordings.
- Photo location 2: In front of the second half of section E. Can be used in some cases.
- Photo location 3: Diagonally opposite the stairs in section D. Here it is possible to make individual sound recordings.
- Photo location 4: Above section C. Cannot be used if the gallery is or is expected to be full. Equipment may not block the way.
- Photo location 5: Diagonally opposite the stairs in section B. Here it is possible to make individual sound recordings.
- Photo location 6: Diagonally opposite the stairs in section A, next to the pillar. May not be used if the location is occupied with a wheelchair.
- Photo locations 7 and 10: Two balconies. Security staff/press secretaries may unlock these balconies.
- Photo locations 8 and 9: Two photo openings, one on each side of the tapestry above the Speaker's podium (only for still photography). Security staff/press secretaries may unlock these locations.
Photography in the Chamber Foyer
The Chamber Foyer through which the members of the Riksdag pass on their way to and from meetings in the Chamber is located on floor 5 of the West Wing of the Riksdag. This is also where the Riksdag Press Centre is located, which is used for press briefings and on-the-spot interviews. Here it is possible to make individual sound recordings.
The taking of photographs in the Chamber Foyer may never prevent people from passing or block evacuation routes. For this reason, it is not permitted to take pictures beyond the floor lights in front of the doors to the Chamber.
Taking photographs from the floor inside the Chamber during debates is only permitted with the authorisation of the Speaker. When there are no meetings in progress, accompanying guests of members of the Riksdag and ministers may take photographs from the floor in the Chamber. However, no one may allow him or herself to be photographed on the podium or at the rostrums.
Photography in other parts of the Riksdag
Journalists and photographers with Riksdag media accreditation my take photographs for purposes of news production on Riksdag premises to which they have independent right of access. However, it is not permitted to take photographs in the café, the restaurants, the child-care facilities, the fitness premises or in offices unless the person working in the office has given his or her permission.
The person who arranges a meeting in the former First Chamber, the former Second Chamber or in other meeting rooms may decide him or herself whether the taking of photographs is permitted. The taking of photographs is normally permitted at public committee meetings unless the committee in question decides otherwise. Photographs may be taken outside committee assembly rooms and other meeting rooms provided it does not prevent people from entering or leaving or block evacuation routes.
It is up to the party secretariats to decide what rules apply to the taking of photographs in their premises.
Advance application for special occasions
For special occasions, for example, the annual opening of the Riksdag session, it may be required to apply in advance for available photo locations. If this is the case, this will be stated on the Riksdag website.
Photography of works of art in the Riksdag
There are many works of art in the Riksdag that are protected under the Copyright Act. In the case of photography for purposes of news production – the "reporting of an event" – no permission is required. In other cases, permission shall be sought from Bildupphovsrätt Sverige (Image Copyright Sweden). This applies for example to the ballot box on the podium in the Chamber and the tapestry Memory of a Landscape on the wall of the Chamber.