Members of the Riksdag monitor election in Turkey
Parliamentary and presidential elections will be held in Turkey on 14 May. Six Swedish MPs will be included in an international delegation to observe the elections.
Around 100 members of parliament from the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly will participate in the observation in Turkey on 14 May. Their task is to follow up whether the elections are open and conducted in a correct manner by being present in selected parts of the country on the day of the elections. The members will observe the elections, the sealing of voting slips and the counting of the votes in various polling stations.
Six members of parliament from Sweden are participating:
- Johan Büser (Social Democratic Party)
- Helena Storckenfeldt (Moderate Party)
- Linnéa Wickman (Social Democratic Party)
- Jessica Rodén (Social Democratic Party)
- Lars Isacsson (Social Democratic Party)
- Jamal El-Haj (Social Democratic Party)
The Swedish MPs will monitor the election in the cities of Diyarbakır and Istanbul.
The OSCE Parliamentary Assembly
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) is an organisation for security policy dialogue and cooperation in Europe. An important task for the organisation is to observe parliamentary and presidential elections in different countries.
The election observation mission is being organised in collaboration with ODIHR, the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights. The ODIHR has observers in the country for a longer period, both before and after the elections.
Press conference in Ankara on 15 May
On 15 May, a press conference will be held in Ankara, where a preliminary statement on the election will be issued. The statement will be published on the website of the Parliamentary Assembly.
Contacts for media representatives
- Fredrik Svensson, International Senior Advisor, International Department of the Riksdag, telephone: +46 73 096 64 67, email: email@example.com
- Simona de Ciutiis, International Adviser, International Department of the Riksdag, telephone: +46 73 096 60 07, email: firstname.lastname@example.org