Amendments to legislation on firearms
The Riksdag voted in favour of the Government's proposal on amendments to Swedish legislation regarding firearms. The amendments are considered necessary to enable the Amending Directive to the EU's Firearms Directive to be incorporated into Swedish law.
The amendments will come into force on 1 July 2023, and will mean that:
- The requirements for labelling will be extended while at the same time introducing a possibility to make an exception to labelling requirements for historically valuable firearms;
- weapon magazines containing many cartridges which can be combined with certain half-automatic firearms will be regulated;
- firearm brokers, that is those operating business connecting buyers and sellers of firearms, will be regulated in the same way as firearm dealers;
- firearm dealers and firearm brokers must send in a report if a purchase or attempted purchase of ammunition gives rise to suspicion, for example as a result of the extent of the purchase;
- and requirements for registration will be extended.